Here are 7 key vitamins and nutrients that help to maintain eye health:
- Vitamin A – It plays a crucial role in vision by maintaining a clear cornea, which is the outside covering of the eye.
- Vitamin E – It is a potent antioxidant that helps protect the eyes against damaging free radicals.
- Vitamin C – It forms collagen, a protein that provides structure to the eyes.
- Vitamins B6, B9, and B12 – This combination may help to reduce the risk of developing AMD by lowering the homocysteine levels.
- Riboflavin – It may protect against damaging free radicals in the eyes.
- Niacin – It may prevent the development of glaucoma, but supplements should be used with caution.
- Omega-3 Fatty acids – It may prevent diabetic retinopathy (DR) when included in the diet.